In early 2021, Ohio Hospital for Psychiatry will be expanding our services to offer inpatient mental health treatment for adolescents.
A young person who is suffering from severe, ongoing symptoms of a mental health condition needs immediate support.
Ohio Hospital for Psychiatry’s inpatient program will provide crisis stabilization for adolescents ages 11-17, helping them get back to a state of stability.
Crisis Stabilization for Adolescents
When a young person is suffering from a mental health concern, they may have trouble functioning in their daily life. In some cases, they may become so overwhelmed by the symptoms they’re struggling with that they no longer feel in control of their thoughts or actions.
Opening in early 2021, the inpatient program at Ohio Hospital for Psychiatry will provide crisis stabilization for adolescents who are experiencing severe, persistent symptoms of a mental health condition.
Most young people will receive inpatient care at our hospital in Columbus, Ohio, for three to seven days, but your child’s actual length of stay will depend on their individual progress.
Inpatient treatment may be ideal for your child if they could benefit from:
- Round-the-clock care – Our care team will be on hand 24/7 to provide any necessary interventions and to help your child start processing the troubling thoughts or emotions they have been struggling with.
- Personalized support – We will listen to your child and ensure that they feel heard, encouraging them to actively participate in their own healing process and personalizing their care to their specific strengths and challenges.
- Solid healing foundation – Although our inpatient program will typically be a short-term experience, the work your child does during their stay with us will help them build a solid foundation for healing that they can continue at a lower level of care.
Your child will not need to complete another level of care before starting our inpatient program. While some young people will step up to our inpatient program from a lower level of care, others will enter directly from their school, an emergency department, or their doctor’s office.
Young people have different experiences with mental health conditions than adults do, which is why we will deliver inpatient treatment that addresses the age-appropriate needs of adolescents.
The topics we will cover are relevant to your child’s lived experiences and may include healthy coping skills, de-escalation techniques, building self-esteem, and medication education.
Every young person will follow a personalized plan of care, which we will create based on a detailed assessment of their medical history, the nature and severity of their symptoms, and their treatment goals.
Although everyone’s path to healing is different, there are certain elements that are common to the inpatient experience:
- Daily group therapy sessions
- Multiple family therapy sessions
- Individual therapy as needed
- Art, music, and recreational therapies
- Medication management services
- Basic medical care as needed
We will use evidence-based treatment modalities such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) to help each young person start functioning at a higher level. Our goal is to set the groundwork for your child to continue making progress toward sustained, long-term healing.
When you seek inpatient care for your child at Ohio Hospital for Psychiatry, they will receive care from a multidisciplinary team of experienced professionals who are passionate about helping young people live their very best lives.
Depending on their individual needs, your child’s care team may consist of:
- Medical nurse practitioner
- Psychiatric nurse practitioner
- Nurse (LPN or RN)
- Social worker
We understand how frightening it can be when your child needs crisis intervention. Our kind and compassionate team will stay in direct communication with you, as appropriate, throughout their stay with us.
Our priority is to promote the best possible outcomes for the young people in our care. We will work collaboratively to create the most beneficial plan of care for every young person who turns to us for support.
Under the guidance of our expert team, your child can reach stabilization, start functioning more like themselves, and make progress toward a healthier future.